Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Countdown Clock Is On


Less than a week to go before our departure to Turin. Time is beginning to move much more quickly now that we have the election and the fall out of a new government out of the way.
I spent a day with our engineering staff getting the gear together and checked out.(Photo: Engineering wiz Yadi B checking over my Camera) I still have a couple of things to get together, but it has put my mind at ease that the bulk of the equipment packing is done. Now to get my personal bag together,,,,,
Recieved word from one of my engineering friends already in Turin working for NBC. He gave me the rundown on what to expect. They got some snow and the temperature has dropped. And here I thought it was going to be warm and sunny,,, oh ya "winter" games. I guess I should have read the fine print. No matter, hopefully my time here in Vancouver hasn't made me into too big a weather wienie.

It had been a good week in the helicopter for my crewmate Pete C. He flew on a chase that ended in gunfire at the Peace Arch Border Crossing. We love that stuff! He was joined in the sky by aircraft from the Seattle TV stations, King 5, KOMO, and KIRO.
The week didn't finish well as there had been some bad Karma in the news room, but with the ringing in of the Chinese Luner New Year perhaps that will pass quickly. This week will see the beginning of the Willy Pickton Trial. He's the guy that has been charged in connection to the Port Coquitlam Pig Farm Murders. It will probibly be the biggest trial that we may ever cover. We are expecting media from around the world for this one.
Court here in Canada can be a bit of a pain to cover visually. Unlike our American cousins, the justice system in Canada does not allow cameras in the courthouse and pictures of an acused are very limited. We have to settle for the brief walk by's of Crown and Defence Lawyers and the ocasional witness. The real work is done by reporters and court artists. I know as I write this one of our reporters is working on her weekend off pouring over a mountian of documents.
This trial promises to go one for months and I am sure that it will affect us all in the news rooms of Vancouver one way or another.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At least in Turin it will be safe to eat the pork.