Saturday, February 09, 2008

Busy and Intense

This is the beginning of what I am sure will be a very busy and intense few weeks. A change from day to day news gathering is always welcome, especially at this time of year. The task at hand will involve a number of "Live" specials from events surrounding the 2 year countdown to the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. Live specials or taking the show on the road is always challenging. This particular challenge however, will also involve launching a new Bureau for our station. The Bureau start up is something that has been something that the station has wanted for some time. Now we are in a position to execute the start up.

How I became involved in the start up is a long and twisted story, so I will shorten it for you my faithful reader. I was standing at the wrong place at the wrong time, or at the right place at the right time. (And I reserve the right to determine which of those applies when I return from this assignment)
Murman at the new Whistler Bureau edit suite during the install on Wednesday.

Wednesday of this past week we began to tool up the new Whistler Bureau. It basically a hotel room tricked out with an edit suite and soon to be installed feed services. Fax machines, phone lines and high speed infoweb everything a news bureau should have. In the weeks to come I hope to give you a look from the inside of the trials and tribulations of "New Bureau" life. It is a temporary assignment until a staff hire can be made to fill the camera/editor position. It begins officially from me on Thursday of this week coming. Until then, Olympic Countdown specials in Richmond and Whistler will occupy my attention. Full setups and tear downs. In Whistler, promos, ENG editing to boot. Yes it will be busy. Add the big wigs coming to town, it has all the makings of "busy and intense" weeks to come.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would think with all of their money CTV could afford more than a hotel room for a bureau.

Is it due to a lack of funds or the location of the room?

Something tells me once the games are over the bureau will shut down.
Any other TV stations from Vancouver with full time bureaus in Whistler?

I'm assuming CTV is giving it all this coverage due to the fact that CTV are the new rights Canadian holders for the Olympics.
Wouldn't be this much attention if the CBC or Global was broadcasting the games

Good luck with your next 2 years of Olympic nonsense.

May you ride the overtime gravy train until it derails.

If I were you I'd try and stay in the chopper doing some of your awesome aerials during the Olympics.

Hopefully Canada can finally win a gold medal while hosting the Olympics.